An official army family and MWR Site

School Support Services


School Support Services provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child & Youth Services (CYS), School Support Services features School Liaison Officers (SLOs), who help schools, installations and Families work together for student achievement.

SLOs are your best support in the area of education, schools and military transitions. SLOs are knowledgeable in current education news and policies. They act as the conduit between the school community – including local public school districts, private schools and home school Families – and the installation.

How do they do it? By

  • Helping schools understand the challenges military Families face
  • Informing parents about local school policies
  • Giving Families information about local schools, graduation requirements, after school programs, youth sponsorship and homeschooling
  • Connecting units and schools through partnership initiatives
  • Conducting workshops to help parents navigate educational transition and advocate for their children
  • Providing an array of resources that benefit military youth and improve school experiences

Local School Summary (.pdf)

If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please e-mail or call our offices and speak to a School Liaison Officer. 

When Do I Need a SLO?

Getting ready to move:

  • Information about your upcoming duty station and educational options in your new community
  • Connection to a youth sponsor who can answer your child’s questions from a youth’s perspective
  • Assistance with the steps to prepare for your children’s departure from their current schools


Once you are arrive:

  • Assistance with school registration and transition
  • Help with questions about compliance and solutions regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
  • Two way communication between the school and parent
  • Connection with homeschool co-ops or support groups


During your assignment:

  • Answers to your questions about schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions and more.
  • Parent education opportunities about college and career readiness, preparing for transition and the Interstate Compact 


To ease the transition, contact your SLO as soon as you get orders.

Finding a School

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. 

We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Research-based Characteristics of Quality Schools 

Most schools share fundamental characteristics that prepare students for the future. Research shows that the most effective schools are more alike than they are different. Here is some information about what to look for in quality schools:

Finding a new school and registering your child can be confusing. We can help.

Our SLOs give you information on local schools so you can find the best fit for you and your family.   They can also help you with everything you need to register – and can answer other questions, too. Contact our office and to get more detailed information.

Information About Our Area
Youth Sponsorship
Youth Sponsorship

Does your child have 101 questions about your next duty station? Let a youth sponsor answer them!

Youth sponsors connect with children before arrival at a new duty station, provide them with information about their new communities and answer questions from a youth perspective – while being guided by adults in the CYS youth program and the schools.

Once you arrive, a youth sponsor will meet your child and can arrange community and school tours.

If you're preparing for a PCS move, contact your SLO today to sign up for a youth sponsor.

If you're preparing for a PCS move, contact your SLO today to sign up for a youth sponsor.

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find the resources available in your school district. We can also connect you with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. Additional information available at the Army Medical EFMP


If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find the resources available in your school district. We can also connect you with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office.


For more information, contact Fort Liberty's Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP).

Additional References & Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a) evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for Families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer. The United State Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services outlines these requirements for State Directors of Special Education. 

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers parent education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to appropriately advocate for their children, proactively supporting personal accountability. Funded by OSEP.

Military OneSource has a range of resources in caring for a family member with special needs: education, health care, legal, financial, points of contact (EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.)

Military Community & Family Policy-Office of Special Needs provides directory of age-specific resources and States at a Glance for state education special education resources and parent resources.

DirectSTEP provides no-cost, Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics such as understanding federal requirements, best practices for behavior management, IDEA eligibility, IEPs and more. Through the eCourses parents and educators learn how to apply education laws in order to obtain positive outcomes associated with critical education issues. Access the course listing and registration page through the links below.

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration

Home School

Home schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.


Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Information About Home Schooling in North Carolina

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:


Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.


The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All 50 states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year.

If you feel that you have an issue that the Compact can help address talk with your SLO.  The SLO is able to assist by connecting with both the sending and receiving school to assist in resolving the issue.  If it is not possible to resolve the issue locally, the SLO will help you work with the state commission, and if needed, the national office.


Here are some additional web resources to assist you with your child’s education:


Academic Resources: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than 40 core subjects and standardized test preparation.

Homework Support: Army Child Youth & School Services provides Homework Labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center.


Khan Academy:

A personalized learning resource for all ages Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, SAT and more.    


Support/Resilience Resources:

School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.


Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free nonmedical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child, Youth and School Services programs, and in highly impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free nonmedical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, on the phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Ready and Resilient Workshops for youth and educators are offered through the SLO and Youth Center programs. These workshops provide educators and students with the same tools Soldiers receive through their Ready and Resilient training. As Master Resilience Trainers SLOs strive to develop a common language around resilience for educators, youth and their parents.

For information on how to attend a class contact your local SLO.


College and Career Readiness Resources:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in postsecondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework. These links have tools that will help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:


Army Educational Outreach Program (AEOP) provides STEM opportunities for military connected youth. The website provides information about AEOP programs available to youth, scholarship opportunities, news, and ways to get involved. Scholarship Finder provides a search engine to help you find money for your child’s higher education needs. Search over 1000 scholarships intended for military youth. They also have a Military Scholarship Handbook.

School Support Services Scholarship Database Listing of crowd sourced scholarships for military connected youth. Scholarships are listed in alphabetical order and provide information on deadlines and qualifications

Post - Secondary Support

In-State Tuition

In-State Tuition is available for Service Members and Family Members for the following situations:

  • Eligibility in state of legal residence Military personnel and their spouse/dependents remain eligible for in-state tuition benefits as long as North Carolina remains their home of record and maintain significant contacts with the state.
  • Eligibility in state of assignment In-state tuition rates apply to active duty military members and spouses/dependents of those members who are stationed in the state of North Carolina.
  • Continuity of in state eligibility once established If the member of the armed services removes his or her abode from North Carolina during an academic year, the dependent relative shall continue to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate. Military personnel and their dependents remain eligible for the in-state tuition benefit upon reassignment as long as they are continuously enrolled in a degree program.


Local Junior/Technical Colleges

Local Colleges/Universities



Below is a list of Military-Connected Scholarships.  This is not a comprehensive list; Families and students are also encouraged to contact their school's guidance office for other scholarship opportunities.

Resources for Educators

Other Resources

Impact Aid
Since 1950, Congress has provided financial assistance to local school districts through the Impact Aid Program. Impact Aid was designed to assist local school districts that have lost property tax revenue due to the presence of tax-exempt Federal property, or that have experienced increased expenditures due to the enrollment of federally connected children (e.g. Military connected children).


Fort Liberty Military School Partnership Program
The Fort Liberty Military School Partnership Program contributes Military resources and services to schools in order to nurture the intellectual, emotional, social and physical growth of children of the surrounding Fort Liberty area, to increase public awareness of the Army’s mission and to foster good relations.


Master Policy 115:  Parent Teacher Conferences As The Place of Duty
To ensure Soldiers who are parents or guardians of school-age children participate in scheduled parent/teacher conferences.


Stabilization Policy
The Stabilization Policy allows soldiers with high school seniors to request stabilization from PCS movement during the child’s senior year.


Home Alone Policy
Safeguarding children and youth is a parental responsibility. Parents are to make appropriate advance provisions for supervision during out-of-school periods of time.


Public Schools Block Leave Excused Absence Policy
Cumberland, Hoke, Harnett, and Moore County Schools include attendance policies in their Board of Education Policies that address Military-connected students.  The policies state that a student whose parent or legal guardian (a) is an active duty member of the uniformed services as defined by policy 4050, Children of Military Families, and (b) has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting will be granted up to five additional excused absences upon approval by the superintendent or designee to visit with his or her parent or legal guardian.

Fort Liberty Schools Regulations also provide families with the ability for excused absences (

Conditions in which the school may grant excused absences for block leave:

  • The excused absence is pre-approved.
  • Your student is in good standing.
  • Your student has a prior record of good attendance.
  • Missed work is completed and turned in within the school’s allotted time period.
  • Absence is not during standardized testing dates.

Please contact your local school for additional information.

Frequently Asked Questions







What is the best school in the area and how can I enroll my child at that school?

Unfortunately, School Support Services cannot answer that question of which is the best school.

The best school is not the school with the best grades, best sports program, or even best teachers.  The "best" school is simply the school that provides the educational environment for which your particular family and student is looking.

Example 1: A school may have the best SAT/ACT scores, but if the teachers are unresponsive and staff uncooperative toward a family; that school MAY not be the best school for that family.

Example 2: A school may have low test scores, but a family with a struggling child has teachers to provides excellent care and does everything they can for that child to improve.  That family may feel they have the "best" school.

Do not judge a school by grades or ratings. A school is more than just its grades andthere is no official ranking scale (as many school or realtor websites may boast).

If there is a particular school you want your child to attend, it's best to find a house in the district in which the school serves.  Please make sure you contact either the school district or the School Liaison Officer to confirm the school.  There have been several occasions when realtor information about schools have been incorrect.




Can School Support Services circumvent school policies?

No. Under no circumstance can Fort Liberty or School Support Services ever circumvent school policies.

Previous example questions include:

    1. Is there an exception to policy to allow my child to attend school on Fort Liberty (including all forms of hardships)?  No.
    2. I don't feel my child should be suspended for fighting, can School Liaison Officers do anything to keep my child from being suspended? No.
    3. Can School Liaison Officers make the schools provide excused absences because the Soldier just returned from deployment? No.




How can School Support Services assist me in choosing a school?

It is a common question from parents to ask School Support Services which is the best school in the area.  Since educational success differs for each student and family, School Support Services cannot recommend the “best” school. 

However, School Support Services can provide guidance on how to select a school.  These decision often are based the needs of the child, academic and extra-curricular interests and housing decisions.  All surrounding schools have successful children, School Support Services can assist Families choose a school that can best fit their children.




Where does my child attend school?

Your child will attend schools in the district in which they live.  If you live in Cumberland County, you will attend Cumberland County Schools, if you live in Hoke County, you will attend Hoke County Schools, if you live in Fort Liberty, you will attend Fort Liberty schools, etc.

See "Local School Districts" above for more information about school attendance areas around Ft. Liberty.




Can my child attend Fort Liberty Schools if we live off post?

No. If you have opted reside off post, then your child must be enrolled within the county. 

Fort Liberty does not accept registrations from families residing off post.  However, if you are residing off post WITH a 90-day letter from Fort Liberty Housing stating that you will be residing on post within 90 days, Fort Liberty Schools will register your child (transportation is not provided from off post schools).

There are no exceptions to policy, no matter the hardship. 




Fort Liberty doesn’t have a high school, where does my teenage attend high school?

Teens residing on Fort Liberty attends EE Smith High School in Cumberland County as their host high school.

Cumberland County Schools has some choice options for high school students.  Keep in mind that choice options are through an application process between mid-January to mid-February of the previous school year.  

If your family transitions to Fort Liberty after the deadline before the school year starts, you may still submit an application, but will placed low on the waitlist.

If your family transitions to Fort Liberty during the school year, you may request an out of district transfer or a choice school; however, the probability of the school granting the request is very low. Do not expect to be granted an out of district transfer.

Visit the Cumberland County Schools website for more information about Governed Choice Schools.

Teens residing in Linden Oaks attend Overhills High School in Harnett County as their host high school.  




At what age can my child start school?

If the child reaches the age of five years on or before August 31st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment, the child is eligible to enroll in Kindergarten. If his fifth birth date falls on or after September 1st, the child is not eligible to enroll.

If you are enrolling your student on Fort Liberty Schools, they must be the age of five on or before September 1st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment.  




Can I enroll my child into Kindergarten prior to being 5 years old?

There is a process and requirements to put your child into Kindergarten. Read below for more information.

North Carolina State Board of Education Policy Manual

Policy Identification Priority: High Student Performance 

Category: Kindergarten/Early Childhood 

Policy ID Number: HSP-J-001

Policy Title: 16 NCAC 6E.0105 Policy delineating the standards for early admission to kindergarten

Current Policy Date: 07/09/1998

Administrative Procedures Act (APA) Reference Number and Category: 16 NCAC 6E .0105


(a) To determine the eligibility of a four-year-old child to enter kindergarten pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 115C-364(d), the principal shall confer with a committee of professional educators to consider for each child the following factors: (1) Student Aptitude. The child shall be precocious in academic and social development and shall score at the 98th percentile on a standard individual test of intelligence such as the Stanford-Binet, The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence, the Kaufman Anderson, or any other comparable test administered by a licensed psychologist. (2) Achievement. The child shall be functioning from two to three years beyond the child’s peers. The child shall score at the 98th percentile on either reading or mathematics on a standard test of achievement such as the Metropolitan Readiness Test, the Stanford Early School Achievement Test, The Mini Battery of Achievement, the Woodcock-Johnson, the Test of Early Mathematics Ability (TEMA), the Test of Early Reading Ability (TERA), or any other comparable test administered by a licensed psychologist, a member of the psychologist’s professional staff, or a professional educator who is trained in the use of the instrument and who has no conflict of interest in the outcome of the assessment. (3) Performance. The child shall be able to perform tasks well above age peers as evidenced by behaviors in one or more areas such as independent reading, problem solving skills, advanced vocabulary, and some writing fluency. The parent shall submit a sample of the child’s work that shows outstanding examples of ability in any area including, but not limited to, art, mathematics, writing, dramatic play, creative productions, science, or social interactions. The principal may also require a teacher to complete an informal reading assessment of the child. (4) Observable Student Behavior/Student Interest. The child shall demonstrate social and developmental maturity sufficient to participate in a structured setting for a full school day. The child shall be capable of following verbal instructions and functioning independently within a group. The parent shall provide two recommendation letters with specific documentation of physical and social maturity from preschool teachers, child care workers, pediatricians, or others who have direct knowledge of the child. Useful documentation checklists include the California Preschool Competency Scale, the Harrison Scale, or any other comparable scale of early social development. (5) Motivation/Student Interest. The principal or principal’s designee shall conduct an informal interview with the child and a more structured interview with the parent to determine if the child displays a thirst for knowledge and seeks new and challenging learning situations.

(b) The parent shall present the information required by this Rule to the principal within the first 30 calendar days of the school’s instructional year. All testing shall be administered after the April 16th that follows the child’s fourth birthday. The principal shall decide whether to grant the parent’s request for enrollment within three weeks after receiving this information. The principal may conditionally enroll the child for up to ninety days in order to observe whether the child is able to adjust to the school setting. If the principal determines that the child has not adjusted to the school setting, the principal shall deny the request for enrollment. However, before the child is exited from school, the principal shall invite the parent to assist in the development of intervention strategies for the child. If those strategies are not successful, the principal shall provide the parent at least 10 days notice before exiting the child from school so the parent may arrange child care, if needed.

(c) LEAs may require parents to supply information in addition to that required by this Rule. LEAs may also require specific tests or other measures to provide information relating to the factors listed in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(d) Early admission to kindergarten shall not automatically result in the placement of the child in the program for academically gifted students. By the time the child has been enrolled for 90 calendar days, or at any earlier time that school officials determine that the child has adjusted satisfactorily and shall be allowed to remain in school, the gifted identification team shall review the child’s information to determine if the child shall receive gifted services. If the team determines that the child shall receive gifted services, it shall develop either a differentiated education plan or an individual differentiated education plan for the child 




I am moving to the area. How do I enroll my child in school?

Enrollment is handled at the local level. Please contact your school district or the installation School Liaison Officer for further details.




What is a Unique Military Child Identifier?

Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and method of collection vary from state to state.




What is Impact Aid?

Many local school districts across the United States include within their boundaries parcels of land that are owned by the Federal Government. They must provide a quality education to the children living on the Indian and other Federal lands while sometimes operating with less local revenue than is available to other school districts, because the Federal property is exempt from local property taxes. Congress has provided financial assistance to these local school districts through the Impact Aid Program. Each year Military members and Federal employees complete a Survey Form. The amount of Impact Aid – or federal assistance –received is determined by the number of eligible parents/guardians who complete the survey form. It partially compensates school districts affected by federal activity for local tax losses resulting from tax-free federal installations.




What is the Non-DoD School Program (NDSP)

At overseas/international locations where there is not a Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) school, NDSP supports a variety of options for your children, ranging from public or private schools to homeschool programs.  NDSP has a team of education specialists who are available to provide transition and educational support and coordination for all students, including those with special needs. Sponsors are encouraged contact the NDSP as soon as possible for specific school information. 


Phone Number +1 (571)372-5863 or +1 (571)372-1897


Youth Sports Fall Sports

Youth Sports Fall Sports


ACS Backyard Bash: 59th Birthday and Backpack Giveaway

Jul 27 9 am - 12 pm

ACS Backyard Bash: 59th Birthday and Backpack Giveaway

Jul 27 9 am - 12 pm

Okinawa Kenpo Karate Class


Okinawa Kenpo Karate Class


SKIESUnlimited Mommy & Me Tumbling


SKIESUnlimited Beginners Cheer

Home School Network


Home School Network


SKIESUnlimited Tumbling

SKIESUnlimited Tumbling